Located on the ground level of the main house both bedrooms have their own private full bathrooms, each with a door opening to a shared outdoor shower for rinsing off after coming from the beach. The Seaside Master bedroom opens directly onto the 50-foot veranda and the louvered windows provide views and sounds of the Caribbean Sea and one of the two private beaches.
The upstairs bedrooms are en suite that share a bathroom overlooking the sea.
The largest partition has a king sized bed and has a private entrance down a staircase leading to the lawn and beach.
The center partition has a nook with a twin bed and a staircase leading down to the dining room and living area below. On the eastern side of the second level is a third partition that has two twin beds overlooking the tennis court and Seven-Mile Beach.
Here at Llantrissant the safety of our guests is our main priority. In addition to full compliance with standard Government Covid-19 Health & Safety Protocols for tourism entities, we have taken steps to implement additional measures to ensure our guests are doubly safe and can enjoy a well deserved worry-free vacation.
Please click to read the full compliance letter issued by the Compliance Authority.
We continue work with the proper Government agencies to update standards as they are recommended and to revise internal protocols.
Please check your own country’s government websites for updates regarding travel to Jamaica.
Craig and Cheryl Travis are the owners of Llantrissant. Craig is originally from Chicago and Cheryl was born and raised in Negril. They met on the West End in 1979 and got married on the property three years later. They have raised three children who have careers in the arts and education.
They both cherish the history of the house and property and have been dedicated to its restoration, preservation and decor. Cheryl is an avid gardener and loves to cook which is reflected in the high standards for both local and international cuisine.
HISTORY OF LLANTRISSANT
Llantrissant Historical Timeline
Construction of Llantrissant began in 1880. The owner and builder at that time is unknown, although it is thought that he was a notable plantation owner in Westmoreland.
1900 – 1924
Jack Winder, an architect from London, moved to the West Indies to do agriculture. He purchased Llantrissant and a property past the Lighthouse known as Westcliff, today known as Hogg Heaven.
His daughter Constance was born on the property in 1919. Her grown children are now living in Australia.
1924 – 1925
Presumably the property was rented with the intent to purchase by a pharmacist from Green Island but the sale was never consummated.
1925 – 1956
a Fellow at England’s Royal College of Surgeons for 66 years purchased the property in 1925 and lived there until his death in 1956.
During his tenure at Llantrissant, he built a lawn tennis court, a garage/handball court and a jetty that served as a boat landing. He was friends with Jim Harvey who owned the Whitehall property and the wharf house that was on the cove to the east of the property. When the wharf house was decommissioned, Harvey gave Dr. Drew the large limestone blocks that had been the ballast for ships arriving from England and whose hulls were filled with sugar and logwood on the return trip. Logwood was harvested for its deep red heartwood that was used for dye. Those limestone blocks were incorporated into the walls of the garage and handball court.
Stories abound regarding Dr. Drew’s ghost or duppy as ghosts are called in Jamaica. One guest saw a figure wearing white pants and shirt ascending the dining room stairs and another felt his presence at the foot of her bed. A gardener who had only recently been hired, dropped his rake and ran from the yard when he saw a figure standing across the lawn from where he was working only to have it disappear before his eyes.
The giant cotton trees on the property play directly into these long held beliefs since cotton trees are said to harbor the ghosts of runaway slaves who were hung from their limbs.
During World War II, his grandson Nigel was sent from England to live with him in the early 1940s and lived there for the duration of the war.
His obituary in the British Medical Journal reveals a man of great character and stature having served as a surgeon on the battlefields of France for the entire war. He even remained in Calais working until 1921 before returning to Oxford where he had a private practice before the war.
Another ‘story’ that lives on is that he was the personal physician to the Queen Mother which is highly unlikely since his practice before the war was located in Oxford. However, a story told by one of his former gardeners was that sometime during the mid-1930s a royal yacht anchored off-shore in Long Bay and sent in a long boat to fetch Dr. Drew to visit with his royal friend who may have been Mary of Teck, the wife of King George V. She would have been called The Queen Mother after her son, Edward VIII ascended to the throne in 1936. They may have met on board the royal yacht when it had been converted into a hospital ship during World War I or afterwards in a British Army hospital in Calais where she may have visited the wounded soldiers under his care. There is also the possibility that they may met up again in Oxford in 1921 when she was given an honorary doctorate in civil law. This would have coincided with Dr. Drew’s return to Oxford after leaving Calais.
Mention of him is made in a 1956 Yale Ph.D. dissertation in anthropology by William H. Davenport who wrote A Comparative Study of Two Jamaican Fishing Communities. He was described as generous employer of young men who helped extend the property into the sea with wheelbarrows of sand and stones. Since he was an avowed atheist, most likely due to his experiences in WW1, he did not permit the boys to discuss God on his property to which they complied. He was beloved by the local population, especially the children since he would invite them onto the property on Empire Day and other public holidays and treat them to ice cream.
Dr. Drew deeded a portion of the property across the road to the Jamaican Constabulary Force who built a station there where it was manned by two officers until the early 1980s when tourism exploded in Negril. After a new station was built on the other side of town in the early 1990s, the Rockhouse Foundation converted the building and built an additional building that became The Negril Branch of the Jamaican Library Service.
1958 – 1974
Leyson Ewen, owner of The Casa Blanca Hotel in Montego Bay, bought the property in 1958. It was his intent to build a hotel there.
He had a romantic relationship with Stella Hart. Little did they know that one of the meanings of Llantrissant that was derived from ancient Welsh language where llan means yard and trissant, derived from tristre, or secret meeting place, from which the English word, tryst, was derived. So it meant a yard where lovers meet. They were both avid tennis players and enjoyed the tennis court which had been a grass court at the time.
Since he was friends with Norman Manley, the Premier of Jamaica at the time, who recognized Negril’s potential as a tourist destination, he was able to convince Mr. Manley to draw up plans for a bypass road around the property in order to unify the two halves of the property that had been and still are divided by the West End Road.
Unfortunately, Leyson died suddenly of a heart attack in 1962 on the property and never saw those plans come to fruition.
After his death, his family rented the house to John Behmiller, a businessman from Des Plaines, Illinois who eventually purchased it in 1974.
1974 – 1979
Mr. Behmiller purchased numerous properties in Montego Bay and on Negril’s West End including the property that eventually became The Rock House.
In 1975, he sold Llantrissant to a group of investors who wanted to develop a restaurant on the property but ultimately the venture failed and Mr. Behmiller retook possession.
Eventually, he enlisted the help of Diane Ennevor, Negril’s only realtor at the time, who sold the property to its current owner, Craig Travis, M.D. in 1979.
1979 – 2021
For the last 42years Dr. Craig Travis and then his wife Mrs. Cheryl Travis has been caring for and developing the property in to the beautiful villa that it is today.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Up to twelve people can be accommodated depending on how many couples there are. There is a crib, a child’s daybed and a playpen which can be set up just about anywhere, as well as an inflatable mattress.
There is a main house and a cottage. The main house has two bedrooms on the ground level with full-size four poster beds in each one. Each downstairs bedroom has its own bathroom which opens up to the outdoor shower. Upstairs in the main house are two seperate bedrooms, each with two twin beds. Two of the twin beds have been joined together to make a king size bed in the bedroom on the western end of the property. Also upstairs is an alcove with a twin bed. There is one bathroom upstairs. The cottage has a queen-size bed and its own bathroom.
We have two reliable minibus drivers to carry our guests at the following rates:
Airport transfers USD 25 per person each way with a minimum of USD 100 for 1 to 4 guests. These rates are determined by JUTA, the local ‘union’ of minibus drivers.
Reservations for transportation can be made at the time of booking the property. Arrangements for day trips can be made directly with the drivers.
No, however our staff will shop and prepare three meals a day for USD 30-40 per person depending on meal selections.
Llantrissant is located in the historic center of Negril on the south shore of Long Bay at the foot of the cliffs. It is less than one half mile from the roundabout located on the same little cove as the Sunshine Village with the Hi-Lo Supermarket, the National Commercial Bank, duty free shops and Shakey’s Pizza. It is directly across from the Anglican Church.
It is about a ten minute walk to the main beach. Rick’s Cafe is three and one half miles further down Lighthouse Road on the cliffs.
There are two sandy beaches, one about two hundred feet long and the other about fifty feet. Both are suitable for nude bathing.
Two housekeepers who do the cooking, serving and cleaning. One gardener who maintains the yard and beaches. A security guard from dusk until dawn.
Except for the staff the property is entirely private. No one else is permitted on the property except tradesmen who might be called in for emergency repairs. Guests are encouraged not to bring strangers onto the property.
We sell four individual units at a discounted rate only for last minute bookings. You will be made aware if there is a chance there will be another party sharing the property.
Local cable TV, DVD, VHS player, amplifier with 5 disk CD changer, cable for MP3 player or laptop connection. DSL with Wi-Fi internet connection. Fax machine for incoming faxes.
There is snorkeling gear available at no charge to the guests. There are numerous coral formations immediately in front of the property. There are small caves along the northern edge of the property.
The Negril Hills Golf Club has an excellent 18 hole course. The exact greens fees are available from the Jamaica Tourist Board. Tennis is available at The Negril Beach Club and Swept Away Sports Complex for a fee. Horseback riding at Babu’s Riding Stables in Red Ground. Scuba diving operations are located at most hotels. Some of the dive operators provide transportation. There are jet skis and parasailing concessions on the beach.There are two sea kayaks which can be set up for one or two people.
There are pool floats to laze about in the water. There are deck chairs and hammocks around the property. There is an exercise mat and free weights.
Since the gratuity is included in the rate, additional tipping is left to the discretion of the guests.
Typically the housekeepers will do the shopping. A menu planner is available. Fresh fish can be purchased from local fishermen. There is also a fish monger who will deliver fish and lobster to the gate; the staff has his cell phone.
Negril may be the reggae capital of the world. There is a different reggae show for each night of the week at different venues.
Marijuana is now legal in Jamaica and there should be no worries about smoking it anywhere on the property. Although local people can be seen smoking on the street, we do not advise it for our guests. We do not permit smoking in the house due to the fire hazard it represents. We have had a few guests who have allowed burning seeds to drop on the outdoor cushions and leave holes in them. Any further damages will be assessed to your damage waiver deposit.
There are three or four physicians practicing in Negril. There is an EMS Ambulance Service with trained medical technicians for transport to the nearest hospital in Savanna-la-Mar or to Montego Bay.
The tap water in Negril comes from a natural spring in nearby Logwood, in Hanover. It is completely safe to drink. The Jamaicans take pride in their high quality public water system. It is best to use filtered water, however. A filtered tap is provided next to the main tap in the kitchen.
For women, topless is common along Seven Mile Beach. Total nudity appears to be restricted to a cove north of the main beach called Bloody Bay, and to the private beaches associated with the ‘all inclusive’.
Llantrissant is a Welsh place name, in fact, the town where the Royal Mint is located. It was so named by a former owner whose origins may have been Welsh. Etymologically it means “a yard where lovers meet”: llan means yard and trissant is derived from “tristre” which means “a secret meeting place in trust” from which the English word “tryst” is derived. According to the history of the town, the name also means the Church of Three Saints.